Monterey Peninsula Surgery Center Wins Ambulatory Surgery Center of the Year for 2017
MONTEREY, CA (October 4, 2017) – Monterey Peninsula Surgery Center (MPSC) was selected as the Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) of the Year in 2017 from a pool of 800 ASCs by the California Ambulatory Surgery Association (CASA). The CASA state association Board established the Award to recognize the ASC that truly exemplifies “best practices” in the field of outpatient surgery. Nationally, over 70% of all surgeries are performed in an outpatient setting and 45% of these occur in ASCs.
Tom Wilson, CEO of MPSC said, “It is a tremendous honor for MPSC to be recognized for its outstanding quality, tremendous patient service, innovative approach to reduce costs and continual efforts to bring transparency to medicine,” and, “This would not be possible without our world class physicians and highly skilled and caring employees.”
At the CASA Awards ceremony, MPSC was recognized among its peers for the following achievements to advance outpatient surgery:
- MPSC was the first ASC between the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles, founded in 1982.
- In 2001, MPSC was the first ASC in the nation to execute an all-inclusive bundled payment agreement for surgical services with a major insurance company. The bundled payment included all fees related to the surgery (surgeon, anesthesiologist and facility fees) bundled into one predetermined price.
- In 2002, MPSC pioneered major spine surgery in the ASC and was among the first to perform joint replacement in the ASC in 2005.
- In 2009, MPSC expanded its bundled payment program to over 40 surgical procedures including total joint replacement, hysterectomies, thyroidectomy, mastectomy and breast reconstruction with major insurance companies and large employers.
- In 2013, MPSC was selected to represent the ASC industry in a presentation to Medicare resulting in the approval for 13 complex spine procedures to be performed in the ASC.
- In 2015, MPSC was the first ASC to become a member of the California Joint Replacement Registry.
- In 2016, MPSC performed nearly 17,000 surgical cases and over 33,000 procedures. If MPSC was one of 447 California hospitals it would rank 6th in total outpatient surgeries performed.
- MPSC has become a national surgery referral center, preforming surgery on patients residing in 47 states, 6 Canada providences and 11 countries in the last five years.
- MPSC is a national leader in performing commercially insured bundled payments performing over 500 annually.
- MPSC was one of the first healthcare facilities (hospitals or ASCs) to institute a comprehensive transparency program publishing its prices and patient satisfaction scores on its website.
- Last year, 99.6% of MPSC patients stated they would return to MPSC for an elective surgery or recommend it to family and friends in a post-surgery survey.